After a spate of cross-border attacks by militants on Pakistani border posts, political and military authorities have decided to launch a targeted operation in Mamond tehsil of Bajaur Agency.
The decision has been taken in view of intelligence reports which state that militants are present in the area. It is also assumed that the decision to launch a targeted operation was prompted by Friday’s killing of three security personnel in a cross border attack claimed by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).
An alliance of political parties also met with Abdul Jabar Shah, the political agent of Bajaur Agency to seek an assurance that the planned operation would be targeted.
In anticipation of the operation, the political administration has ordered tribesmen in five villages – Ghakhay, Kitkot, Naktar, Gohati, and Mula Kallay located near the Pak-Afghan border to evacuate till Monday evening.
“Announcements have been made through the loudspeakers of local mosques asking residents to move to other parts of Mamond tehsil and Khar, the headquarters of Bajaur Agency,” said the APA Nawagai. “The evacuation has been ordered to avoid civilian casualties in the operation.”
Abdul Haseeb Khan, another political administration official from Mamond said that two registration points have been set up for vetting the displaced tribesmen. “One point has been established in the Umaray area of Mamond and another at Sadiqabad in Khar,” he added. He also said that hundreds of families from the villages of Nakhtar, Kitkot, Gohati, and Mula Kallay have started evacuating.
As per the tribal elders, most of the families would have to travel to the Sadiqabad registration point on foot. Women and children along with aged people would have to walk 24 kilometers to reach the registration point. They also shared that most of the tribesmen could not leave their areas on such a short notice and were collecting their household items before moving towards the registration point. He said complete evacuation would take at least two to three days.
So far no relief work had been started and an official from political administration said that relief and medical camps would be set up once the evacuation is completed. “At the moment we do not know the exact number of the displaced tribesmen,” he said, adding that basic facilities would be provided to the people at the camps.
CWS-P/A will be closely monitoring the situation and will be disseminating the updated information. It will decide about its response plan once the situation becomes clear. CWS-P/A emergency response team is on standby and would start its response program subjected to the need and clearance by the security as well as the Government departments to provide assistance.